Monday 4 August 2014

Get ready for The Summer Heat by @ElodieParkes #book #interview



Happy Monday! I have interviewed the lovely Elodie Parkes who has a new book out. Stop by and say hello.

Q1) Welcome to my blog, Elodie. Can you tell us a little about yourself
I’m English and live in Kent right now. I work in a tourist driven antiques emporium. I have a couple of dogs and they often come to work with me if I’m traveling to pick up antiques or working in the renovating area, or the back offices where we do graphics and produce the auction brochures.

Q2) Have you always wanted to be an author?
Well, I’ve always written stuff. I don’t know that I wanted to be anything specific for a long time. I went to University (college) and I have three different degrees and grad. dips. Then when I couldn’t get work in any of the fields I’d studied I traveled for a couple of years doing all kinds of work in Europe and Australia. Then came back, applied for the job I have because I could use lots of my skills in it and there you are. I’ve written stories since I was seventeen and had a couple published in magazines, along with some poetry. I had stories on my computer for years before I finally submitted and was published again.


Q3) Who are some of your favorite writers? Who do you feel has influenced your writing?
I don’t think anyone has influenced me. I’m influenced by the things I see, people who pass me, road signs, animals, the ocean, a picture, loads of things will just seed in my brain and hey presto a story evolves. Emotions influence me too. I have no favorite writers. I read widely and avidly, just gobble up books.

Q4) Can you tell us what a typical writing day for you is like. 
I don’t have a typical writing day. When I have any time at all, I just run at the laptop and write. (Smiles) In the winter when all the hours at work are cut a little, I might have a day that I allocate to a story that’s nagging me to write it. Then I sit down and write until I realize I’m starving or thirsty and my dogs are starting to prowl around the study wanting to go for a walk.

Q5) Let’s talk about your new book.  Can you tell us a little about it?

The Summer Heat
It’s an erotic romance ménage story. The inspiration came from a tree being cut down in the communal gardens of the cottages where I currently live. I didn’t even see it felled, but I was immensely saddened as this was a healthy young tree.
There are two very attractive men, lifelong friends who are my heroes. In my story, these gorgeous guys are cutting down a diseased tree in their garden, and that’s how they see Annabel, my heroine, move in next door.
She’s ready for love and although they don’t know it at first, so are they.

Here’s the blurb,
When lifelong friends Nate and Evan watch the arrival of a new neighbor, they never expect to find their friendship rocked by the lovely Annabel who moves into the empty house next door.
Annabel likes both Nate and Evan the moment she meets them. As they all grow close, will she be forced to choose between these gorgeous men? 

To find where to buy the book on release, August 5, visit Elodie’s blog



Q6) How did you come up with the idea for this story?
It just dropped into my head. Seriously, that happens with most of my stories. I see something and within hours, a story has unfolded in my head. A signpost that I passed when I was driving home from a work trip inspired my last ménage story, with Evernight Publishing, ‘Swoop on Love’. A couple of friendly horses in a paddock inspired, ‘Night of the Horse.’ A pond inspired, ‘A Little Mysterious’, although it also helped that a truly delectable guy came into the emporium and talked with me about a Georgian table. He was the physical inspiration for Dhruv my vampire.
So finding a lovely tree had been felled in the gardens saddened me but also because the stump was left in the lawn there a story idea came to me. I was also hoping for a hot summer this year, having seen little sun last year and so the story was set in a hot summer, hence the title, ‘The Summer Heat.’

Q7) What is up next for you?
I have a duo of erotic romance short stories releasing from Hot Ink Press August 16, ‘Love at First Sigh.’ I’ve just signed a contract with Siren Publishing for my full length erotic romance, ‘Café in the Park’ that’s slated for release September or October as ebook and next March/April in print.
I have three stories on my computer in various stages of life. All erotic romance and all clamoring to be written, but I’m on hiatus at the moment from writing because of the long hours in my day job. I have to watch out not to be away from writing for too long though as it’s depressing. (smiles)

Q8) What is the best piece of advice you would give to a budding writer?
Write, write, read, don’t be discouraged because it’s hard work and sometimes very disappointing but if you have a story to tell, tell it.

Q9) What is the next book on your To Read Pile that you are dying to jump into?
Actually it’s not out yet. Christine Feehan has a new Dark series release in September, ‘Dark Blood.’


Favorite Quiz

Favorite city:
Oxford
Favorite beverage:
Tea
Favorite place you’d like to visit:
Rome
Favorite place to write:
My desk by the window looking out across the countryside and woodland
Favorite hobby:
Reading
Favorite movie:
Oh no (Laughs) I can’t choose a favorite movie. I love so many movies.
Favorite book:
As above, for heaven’s sake ( laughs)

About Elodie:
Elodie Parkes is a British author writing romance, erotic, contemporary, and often with a twist of mystery, paranormal or suspense. Her books are always steamy, cool stories and hot love scenes.
Elodie lives in Canterbury with her two dogs. She works in an antique emporium by day and writes at night, loving the cloak of silent darkness that descends on the rural countryside around her home.
She has also released titles as an individual indie author.
Find Elodie online: Blog  Tumblr  Facebook  Twitter 


General rating

The Saturday morning sun blazed in the June sky. Heat shimmered off the sidewalk. Nate and Evan were the only people out in their front yards. The noise of their work tools were the only sounds, as not even the seagulls that often wheeled overhead ventured from the cool of the ocean yet.
Nate and Evan’s house was one of the largest in the rows of three story houses built along the river in a modern development unimaginatively called Riverside Mews. Narrow lanes that led to the river path separated the rows. Somehow, patches of white sand always settled on the paths, though the nearest beach was a mile away. Each house had its own river access, through a gate at the end of the back yard to a riverbank public path, but there was no boat access, no jetties. The public path wound along by the river from the seaside town close by and on into the countryside. The house to the right of Nate and Evan’s place was occupied by a small family, but the house to the left had been empty and for sale all year.
The roar of a large van engine broke the hot, morning silence as it turned into the street and thumped over each speed hump in the road, until it drew up in front of the empty house next door.
Nate gave the van a cursory glance, but Evan leaned on his spade and watched as two men leapt out of each side of the van. He read the name of a removal firm and their logo emblazoned across the side of the vehicle and discovered it was from a city in the north of the state. It piqued his interest, so he continued with his unashamed staring.
The men who’d alighted from the cab walked to the back of the van and opened its double doors, just as a pale blue, old model Mustang drove up and parked a short distance away.
A young woman got out of the Mustang.
Copyright Elodie Parkes 2014 Evernight Publishing All Rights Reserved

To find where to buy the book on release, August 5, visit Elodie’s blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews