Tuesday 1 October 2013

#AuthorInterview: Want Passion and Adventure? Meet @DThorne_author

You saw her book spotlight yesterday. Now check out my interview with author Diane Thorne.

~*~*~*~*~


Q1) Welcome to my blog, Diane. Please tell us a little about yourself
 I'm a divorced mother of one lovely and bright young woman, and I like to boogie. Okay, I don't actually boogie but I do write erotic romance and ménages in my spare time. I hate taxes and slow drivers. I chew a lot of gum, drink a ton of water, and I workout five nights a week. Is that too much about me? J

Q2) LOL. Not at all. Have you always wanted to be an author?
Short answer, No. In my early twenties, I had considered it. I had enjoyed writing when I was in school. Well, other priorities claimed hold of me and I gave up the idea of writing. It wasn’t until my late 30s I revisited the idea. I was at a point my life where I realized I had a lot of time on my hands. I’d been actively reading and thought, hey, why don’t I try to write something. I think I can do this. At that time, the writing world was in the midst of change. The days of needing an agent were sinking fast. I wrote, wrote, wrote and researched writing and editing. I went to a conference and met several wonderful people. Later that year, I got my first contract. Over the years, I’ve learned how much I love writing, but it doesn’t pay the bills. LOL

Q3) A lot of writers have the same complaint. Who are some of your favorite writers? Who do you feel has influenced your writing?
I read a variety of genres so I have several favorite authors. I’m not sure any have influenced my writing. We all have our own style. Honestly, I didn’t read much erotic romance before I started writing in the genre. I read more PNR and UF over all other genres. Kelley Armstrong, Keri Arthur, Kerrelyn Sparks, and Lynsay Sands are my favorites in the PNR genre. I read a contemporary erotic romance by Maya Banks and enjoyed it. There was another author who's first name was Sandra. I read her erotic romance and loved it. Whatever I read, I review on Goodreads. I don't follow or keep up with authors since I have way too many books still sitting on my shelves. Please don't spank me for being a bad fan ;)

Q4) I think we'll let you off. LOL. Can you tell us what a typical writing day for you is like.  
Lately, I only write on the weekends and I’m not getting much completed. I work during the week and my evenings are busy as well. A typical writing Saturday consists of waking up early, then checking emails while coffee is brewing. After I’ve drank my caffeine, I start writing. I break for snacks and workouts, or if I need to take my daughter somewhere. I write until my brain can handle no more, or I go out with a friend. I follow the same routine on Sunday.

Q5) Great routine. Let’s talk about your new book. Can you tell us a little about it?
Passion in the Sky is the first story in the Diary of a Free Woman series. Gwenevere Stratton is the protagonist. She’s a forty-four year old woman, divorced, and her two daughters are on their own. She’s accumulated a large rainy day fund and excess of vacation time. What does she do? Follows her dream. She takes a long vacation to travel across Europe. During her travels, she meets people and opportunities are presented. In the first story, she’s on a plane to London. A hot billionaire is stuck on her flight. The two bump into each other and he takes an interest in her. A foreplay of words raises the sexual tension until they can't stand it anymore.

Q6) How did you come up with the idea for this story?
I came up with the idea for the series after I booked a trip to visit Paris with my daughter. The first story was an easy one to write since everything occurs on a plane. I thought it would make an excellent opening for the series.

Q7) What is up next for you?
Passion Blooms in Paris is set for pre release in December. The other stories will be released next year. I don’t have dates yet but I should in the near future. There are a total of seven, but the last one will be different. She’ll be home from her trip and it wraps up the series. I’m working on the last story now. Once I’m done with DOFW series, I’m going to take a break.

Q8) What is the best piece of advice you would give to a budding writer?
Read and write every day. Stick with it if you enjoy writing. Don’t be afraid of rejection. There are a lot of good, reputable publishers today.

Q9) What is the next book on your To Read Pile that you are dying to jump into?
This might shock you but I don’t have any that I’m eager to read. I love to read and I do every day, but I have so many books on my shelves that I’m not dying to jump into anything. I just pull one off and read it. I try to stay in order, but if I’m missing ones in a series, I still read what I have. I don’t have to read books in the order they are written.

Q10) Is there anything else you would like to add?
I want to say thanks for the interview and to each person who reads it. Live long and prosper J



Favorite Quiz
Favorite city: OMG, I have a couple. Of the cities I’ve visited, I like NYC, Boston, and Washington DC

Favorite beverage: Water. I don't drink colas. I enjoy coffee but I'm going to try and give it up. The price has gone up so much in the last few years. It's sad. We shall see if I can live without coffee.

Favorite place you’d like to visit: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Stockholm… I can’t choose just one.

Favorite place to write: My spare bedroom

Favorite hobby: Traveling

Favorite movie: In case you haven't noticed, I'm a person who doesn't have a single favorite of anything. I can't narrow my choices to just one. My favorite movies are ones by M. Night Shyamalan, Back to the Future, The Burbs…

Favorite book: I have too many. Again, I can't list just one as a favorite. If I were going to re-read books, I'd select Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series and Lynsay Sands Argeneau Vampire series for starters. LOL.

Thanks for the interview!! ~Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments. Please share your thoughts.
If you're having problems using blogger to comment, please use the Facebook comment box at the bottom. Thank you.

The Romance Reviews